With expectations rising dramatically at Aston Villa following a sterling start to our 2020/21 Premier League campaign, there’s no denying we have been poor based on our own set standards since ticking into 2021.
There are obviously mitigations for our current lack of consistency, whether that be the Coronavirus outbreak at Bodymoor Heath, our rammed fixture list of late and a lack of proper training time as we focused on rest and rehabilitation or even simply we were overperforming and it was natural that at some point, our form would dip and we’d have a wobbly spell.
The injury to Jack Grealish hasn’t improved the mood, particularly as we go into this weekend’s clash with Leeds United as we all remember our capitulation in the earlier tie, but Vital Villa Forum Member gmvillan has attempted to lift our spirits a little with a more philosophical take on where we are at this moment in time.
To channel my inner Rafa, here are some FACTS:
1. We are the youngest team in the league
2. We are eighth, with games in hand
3. We are the only club in the league to have made a significant signing in the January window
4. We are currently holding our highest league position in about ten years
5. We have the best English player in the world as captain and on a long term contract
6. We have the best goalkeeper in the league, backed up by arguably the best English keeper in the league
7. We have beaten the defending champions by a 5-goal margin, have done the double over Arsenal and have a 1-1 record against the team currently in third place
8. We have kept clean sheets in more than half of our games (12/23)
9. We have scored 37 goals so far, 10 more than the entire 2015-16 season
10. Only three teams have kept a clean sheet against us all season