Date: 25th January 2008 at 5:47pm
Written by:

Martin O’Neill has said that the future of Olof Mellberg wil be sorted out after the Blackburn match.

Speaking to journalists, our manager admitted that an official bid had been lodged with the club, but that no decision on whether to accept it or not has been made.

‘Olof is keeping me in the picture. I have absolute trust in him. I know what is happening. After the weekend we will have a look at some things.

‘Juventus have put an offer to us although I haven’t seen it yet. I have been told about it.

‘That is a natural thing for them to do if they want to sign someone and want to have him in January instead of the end of the season.

‘If Olof chooses to go to Juventus in the summer, and is in the form he has shown me so far when playing this season, then great.

‘I’ll let you know what is happening on Monday. I want to get the Blackburn game, which is really important, out of the way.

‘I’ll have a better picture on Monday. He is available to play on Saturday.’

I suppose a great indication will be whether Mellberg plays against Blackburn or not.

According to reports it’s believed the offer is a token gesture really, around the £500,000 mark.