Date: 28th April 2018 at 4:43pm
Written by:

Aston Villa’s Under 23 side continued their good season this year by taking victory over Leicester City in last night’s clash.

Kevin MacDonald’s young charges headed to the King Power Stadium yesterday evening for the Premier League Cup semi-final tie against the Foxes and following back to back league defeats that cost us a shot at the title, we got back to winning ways with a 3-2 extra time victory on the night.

The boost in confidence will serve us well as we now prepare for the Play-Off semi-final against Reading with promotion hopes still alive.

For the Cup though, we’re through to the Final of the competition and we will face Swansea City as we battle for silverware and end 2017/18 hopefully with two reasons to cheer. Swansea progressed to the Final with a 3-0 victory over Sheffield United.

The game remained goalless for 75 minutes until Jack Clarke gave us the advantage. Leicester levelled through senior player Yohan Benalouane four minutes later to send the game into the extra time period.

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy again became our saviour as he made it 2-1 in minute 94 and he helped himself to a brace as he hit our third in the 108th minute. Leicester did pull a further goal back through George Thomas but it wasn’t enough. The game ended 3-2 on a successful Friday night for our next generation.

It’s always nice when the opposition includes first teamers and they still end up on the losing side at this level!


Iversen, Knight, Wood, Johnson, Benalouane, Hughes (c), Eppiah (Muskwe 70), Amartey (Dewsbury-Hall 45), Gordon, Thomas, Ndukwu (Martis 75).

Subs not used:

Pascanu, Yates

Goals: Benalouane (78), Thomas (111).


Sarkic, Bazeley-Graham (Borg 98), Clark, Suliman, Bedeau, Clarke, O’Hare, Doyle-Hayes, Hepburn-Murphy, Lyden (c), Blackett-Taylor (Cox 100).

Subs not used:

Prosser, Watkins, Mooney.

Goals: Clarke (74), Hepburn-Murphy (94, 108).

Referee: Joe Hull.
Attendance: 1134.

Click for the forum

Comments are closed.