Date: 24th May 2012 at 2:59pm
Written by:

Dave Whelan has said, and this is reasonable to be fair to him, that he will put a time limit on Wigan manager Roberto Martinez.

He is, again only according to the press, wanted by Villa and Liverpool, or at least both would like to talk to him.

Whelan told the press;

“Roberto will be in Barbados until next Tuesday, and I will then set a seven-day deadline by which time I will expect a decision. I appreciate everyone is in limbo at the moment and there will come a time soon when we’ll need an answer one way or the other. It is dragging on a bit but I only care about one thing – that is the future of Wigan Athletic. Nothing else matters.”

Adding, ‘It’s important we sort this out properly, one way or the other, so we can move forward in preparation for the new season.’

He also told the Wigan Evening Post ‘I must stress to our supporters that I am by no means resigned to losing Roberto to Liverpool or any other club. He may go, he may not go. That will be up to Roberto and I will respect his decision either way. But it is not a foregone conclusion. Not at all. Hand on heart, I still believe Roberto will be here next season.’

Whelan had already said he won`t stand in his managers way this summer. Last summer Martinez had already given his word to Whelan that he would stay and he stuck to his word. Some fans are continually saying ‘no thanks, he has blown his chance last year` but isn`t a man who keeps his word exactly the right sort of character for us?

And from this morning, many of the press are now looking at Martinez as our favourite option: Press Now Looking Towards Martinez For Villa